Did you know that many of the leading causes of mortality among men can be prevented? Here’s what you need to know.
According to the CDC, the top causes of mortality among adult men in the U.S. include cardiovascular disease, cancer, chronic respiratory disease, and stroke. However, only 3 out of 5 men get annual physicals. In addition, only 40% of men only go to the doctor when they think they have a serious medical condition. Therefore, it’s time for men to take a proactive approach to health, for both their physical and mental health. Take the first proactive step by clicking here to learn more about essential health screening tests that every male needs!
The good news is that implementing a few lifestyle changes can considerably lower your risk of developing the diseases mentioned above.
Begin by considering your lifestyle:
Take charge of your health by taking steps to make better lifestyle choices:
- Eat a healthy diet. Try limiting foods high in saturated and trans fats, and foods with added sugar and sodium. Try prioritizing vegetables, fruits, whole grains, high-fiber foods and lean sources of protein. Check out TrilogyFIT’s Eating Healthy page to find tips and tricks on ways you can incorporate healthy foods into your diet!
- Maintain a healthy weight. Dropping excess pounds and keeping them off, can lower the risk of various types of cancer and heart disease. TrilogyFIT and Trilogy Benefits offer two programs to help employees manage their weight:
- Noom is a mobile-app based weight loss program that customizes a plan for you based on a psychological evaluation prior to the start of the program. You can log your food intake and physical activity, and have access to a social network to discuss your weight loss journey.
- Virta Health is a clinically proven program to reverse type 2 diabetes. The treatment contains a dedicated health coach, medical supervision, educational resources, and expert care anytime.
- Don’t smoke. If you smoke or use any other tobacco products, inquire about getting help with your doctor to quit. TrilogyFIT also offers a tobacco cessation program using the Clickotine app, to help you live a tobacco-free life.
- Move your body. Exercise is an effective way to help you control your weight, lowers your risk of heart disease and stroke, and also has the potential to lower your risk of certain types of cancer. Remember, all types of physical activity benefit your health. If you’re interested in obtaining a gym membership, TrilogyFIT offers fitness center memberships to select YMCA’s and Planet Fitness’. Click here to learn more about gym membership offers!
- Manage your stress. If you are constantly under pressure or on edge, your lifestyle habits may suffer, and so might your immune system. Learn to deal with stress in healthy ways. Sometimes stress relief means letting out your frustrations. TrilogyFIT offers FREE support and access to coaching, counseling, and emotional well-being resources through the BeWell Employee Assistance Program. Click here to learn more about the program and how you can benefit from it. Also check out additional emotional support programs TrilogyFIT has to offer:
Stop avoiding the doctor!
One of the key factors in disease prevention, is visiting the doctor regularly. Don’t wait to visit your doctor until you find that there may be something serious in regards to your health. In fact, your doctor can be your best ally for disease prevention and maintaining proper health.
Be sure to ask your doctor about when to have cancer screenings and other health evaluations to take preventative measures.
The bottom line is that taking action to reduce your risk of developing disease is key. Maybe start small. Take the smaller steps it takes to make healthy lifestyle changes. The impact of doing so might be greater than you think!